Reflecting on St. Paul's Future: 9th Sunday after Pentecost- Proper 11, Year B




Readings for the Day:
Reflection:

Many of you may have been like me and had a pain of sadness listening to our Gospel today where we are told that Jesus had compassion for the crowd because "they were like sheep without a shepherd." My time with you at St. Paul's as your priest is coming to a close.

But our readings this morning give us hope in that fact. The people may have been without a shepherd, but Jesus provided one for them: Himself. This is a sign to us that Jesus will help provide us the leadership we need.

The end of Ephesians also provides a great deal of hope. The writer tells us that we are members of the household of God. In fact, we are the building blocks that help make up the whole church.

My hope in my time with you is that the discipleship of our church has been built up. My hope is founded in what I have seen. As my time with you comes to an end, I've seen our members step up to take on roles of leadership. I've seen our members become more active in a parish where members were already active and invested before.

My hope is that we will continue to be active members in this parish. Yes, a church needs a strong leader, but that leader cannot do anything without an active membership. Take charge of St. Paul's and continue to make her your own.