Trying to Keep the Law: Wednesday in the 3rd Week of Lent


Readings for the Day:
Sermon:


Original Manuscript:

This is an interactive manuscript. To follow links, click the highlighted words below.

The Law is a difficult thing for us. It is what God desires for us. It is how God wishes us to act in this world. Yet we have so much trouble doing it. That’s why we need Jesus. We need Jesus to fulfill the Law for us.

That doesn’t let us off the hook though. Jesus tells us we are still called to hold to the Law. We are called also not to tell others to break the Law either. Yet again, we cannot do this on our own.

There’s a part of us that’s called to be realistic, yet another part that is called to be hopeful. Paul puts it best in Philippians 3:12-14, “Not that I have already obtained [the goal] or am already perfect; but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. Brethren, I do not consider that I have made it my own; but one thing I do, forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.”

We know we can’t fulfill the Law on our own, yet we try to do so anyways. We know that Grace will always be a gift to us, unearned and undeserved. Yet out of our love for Jesus Christ, we strive forward and try to live in the way God wants us to live. We continue to try to live in the Law not out of any hope of reward, but because we love God and want to try our best to live how our Lord would have us live in the world.