Readings for the Day:
Sermon:
This is an interactive manuscript. To follow links, click the highlighted words below.
If there's anyone God listens to most, it's my mother. Recently, I've been talking about my struggles having to go through another unit of Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) back in seminary. This was at the same time as I had some health issues leading to multiple surgeries none the less.
I found what seemed like the perfect unit for me was in Atlanta. It was with the Training and Counseling Center at St. Luke's Episcopal Church, TACC for short. The program involved working with various parishes' and denominations' outreach projects throughout the city. I had wanted to spend that summer serving at a small parish, so this seemed like the perfect fit for me.
Unfortunately I was told by the head of TACC that I had not been accepted for their summer unit. I was upset, but I had also been admitted to another CPE program in North Carolina. Granted this would have involved hospital work again, but at least it was something.
When something big occurs, my mom typically goes on a walk and has a conversation with God. When this happened, she asked, "Hasn't he been through enough?"
Shortly after her talk with God, I got a call from TACC. Turns out one of their folks had dropped out and they had an extra spot. They asked if I'd still be interested, and of course I said yes. This led to my serving at Holy Comforter at Little Five Points in Atlanta, one of the highlights of my ministry.
This wasn't the first time like this when my mom prayed and God listened. It certainly wasn't the last. The reason, I believe, she has this kind of relationship with God is because of her faith.
Faith is one of the key topics of our readings today, particularly in our Gospel and our Epistle.
More to the point, the power of faith is the focus of those lessons. In the Gospel, we see Peter walking on the water after Jesus beckons to him. It is only when Peter lets fear overtake him that he starts to sink. Jesus' response after He saves him is "Oh ye of little faith, why did you doubt?"
Paul, in speaking to the Romans paraphrases Isaiah in saying, "No one who believes in Him will be put to shame."
These words are the only explanation I have for why I got the call back from TACC shortly after my mom had her prayer with God. It is the belief that God can do anything for us, according to His Will, that we can imagine.
One of the things I know my mother recognizes, and I hope you do too, comes from Paul's quotation of Deuteronomy 30:14. He tells us, "The Word is near you, on your lips and in your heart."
God is as close as possible to hear all our prayers and concerns. All we have to do is take the time and keep our eyes and ears open to see God working in the world.
Don't forget the power of God to those who trust in the Lord. Don't forget either that the Lord is very near you to hear your concerns. We don't always know how God will respond, but we know He will and when He does, it will be more than we could ever hope for.